We believe listening to educators helps us build the highest impact product, so:
- Our mission is our top priority.
- We listen first.
- We agree on problems before seeking solutions.
- We focus: engineers work on one thing at a time.
- We’re equally good at knowing what to work and what not to work on.
- We realize we always have room to grow.
We believe learning and teaching must be a core part of the engineering process in order to scale with the increasing value we create for educators, so:
- We learn while we build; we learn continuously.
- We learn through mistakes and blameless post-mortems.
- Nothing is shipped until it’s taught. Documentation, automation, and communication are integral parts of the product.
- We’re curious. Instead of saying “it’s broken for some reason,” we say, “it’s broken for a reason I’m about to find out.”
- We default to trust and open communication.
- We share our learnings back to the engineering community.
- We give direct, frequent feedback.
- We iterate quickly and learn from data.
We believe technical excellence, in the form of simplicity and maintainability, is required to make a long-term impact, so:
- We take pride in our work.
- We seek early design reviews.
- We engineer for maintainability from the beginning.
- We leave code better than we found it.
- We automate aggressively, viewing automation as learning at a team scale.
- We do “gap weeks” to improve our systems and learn good engineering practices.
- We give meaningful advice in code reviews.
- We release frequently, practicing continuous delivery.
- We solve underlying problems in systems instead of patching symptoms.
We believe in holistic engineering: the engineers closest to the problems make the best decisions, so:
- We empower teams to make decisions for their product and users.
- We give teams the resources and ability to experiment required to make those decisions.
- We default to flexible action over extremely detailed planning or complex estimates.
- We realize that decisions have a shelf life, so we revisit decisions periodically.
- We recognize that a decision is better than no decision.